Saturday 8 December 2012

Pancake Day!

I have always loved pancakes.  When I was a kid I loved it when my school would have pancake day- it meant pancakes for lunch AND for dinner!



In my young adult years, I would mix up the typical boxed pancake mix, put it in a small pan covered in melted butter and smother it in syrup.  

I was pretty bummed when I stopped eating wheat- that meant no more pancakes!

But then I figured out how I can eat pancakes again!

I have tried a variety of gluten free pancake recipes and after a lot of experimenting I found one that is versatile and delicious!

I didn't find this one on the internet, or in a cookbook, but on the side of a Trader Joe's bag of flour.  After substituting for 'allergy friendly' ingredients and playing around a whole lot, I have found a good replacement for my old love.  And now, my pancake addiction continues.

Crispy Pancakes 
(gluten & wheat free, & easily dairy free too)
Makes about 12 pancakes

In a large bowl, mix together:
  • 1 cup gluten free flour mix (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp sugar (or try agave/honey/maple syrup)

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add:
  • 1 1/4 (dairy free) milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp melted coconut oil (or olive/canola oil or  melted butter)-optional
  • 1 tsp vanilla (optional) 
I used coconut oil this time

1. Heat skillet over medium-low heat and melt butter or coconut oil.

2. Once the butter is melted, scoop batter with a 1/4 cup measure and let cook until bubbles form on top and it seems firm enough to flip.

3. Do the same of the other side and serve warm or cool on cookie rack and freeze for a quick breakfast.

Note: I make this recipe a lot. Sometimes they turn out light and fluffy and sometimes more like honey crullers.  So if they don't turn out great the first time, try again.

Variations

Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to batter

Use Agave for sweetening and use as a topping

Add 2 tsp of cinnamon to batter



The options are are limitless!  What do you add to your pancakes?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.