Wednesday 19 December 2012

Snow Days & Comfort Meals: Butter Chicken


Today I got an early morning phone call telling me to go back to sleep- it was a snow day!  This was a welcomed surprise.  It meant that I could sleep in, stay in my PJ’s for way too long, and work on Christmas presents.  This year I am making about 90% of my gifts.  I am really proud of what I have been making and will share them with you after Christmas...I don’t want to give anything away!  


It also meant that I could share with you one of my family’s favorite meals Slow Cooker Butter Chicken.  It is dairy, wheat, egg & gluten free, but does contain nuts. The best part is that my very taste specific husband considers this his favourite meal, next to Chicken Nuggets of course.  

If you are thinking “I don’t like Indian food or curry”, I still suggest you give it a try.  The flavor is very subtle and doesn’t taste very curryish.  Rather it is just a warm, easy, comforting meal- especially for a Snow Day like today.



The original recipe can be found at the Canadian Living website.  Instead of typing it up, I will direct you to the RECIPE itself.
   

NOTES:
  • I have substituted the butter for Earth Balance and sour cream for coconut milk to make it dairy free.  
  • We serve it over Quinoa, but I bet it is good over rice too. 
  • For sides we enjoy peas or green beans
  • I usually only use 3 chicken thighs.  They shred in the Slow Cooker and are a nice accent.
  • I add the chicken from the beginning, we like how it shreds.  This means we don't puree it, and it is still quite good.  If you prefer it pureed, remove the cooked chicken, shred on a plate, puree the sauce, then add all together again. 
  • This meal freezes beautifully.  It usually feeds my husband and I and leaves enough leftovers for 4 more servings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.